C-Motion’s CalTester™ is a laboratory Quality Assurance tool for validating laboratory settings. It verifies the spatial synchronization of your motion capture systems and force platforms. It was originally developed to help with laboratory accredidation efforts because accurate and reliable kinematics and kinetics data are essential to movement analysis data in clinical and research settings. Errors in the parameter settings or calibration measurements lead to incorrect values for kinematic and/or kinetic variables calculated during a movement analysis.
The CalTester should be used before each motion capture session to validate laboratory settings. This simple test takes only a few minutes, could be performed prior to any data collection, and provides reassurance that your data collection is sound.
Proper laboratory calibration includes:
- Accurate determination of the positions of the force platform(s)
- Correct setting of force platform parameters such as analog scale factors and origin offsets
- Move cameras and/or Move force platforms regularly
- Have amplifier switches that can be easily bumped
- Have settings that are regularly changed
- Have students or unsupervised visitors in the laboratory
CalTester software is used in conjunction with a precision mechanical testing device. The design of the mechanical testing device allows a force to be applied to the surface of the force platform without any applied moment.
“A proposed test to support the clinical movement analysis laboratory accreditation process,” has been published In Gait and Posture that uses the CalTester device as the means to ensure accreditation.